Monday, March 19, 2012

My First Post...

I decided to start blogging as a bit of expression and therapy as I embark on a life transition.  Wow, that sounds way more heavy than it actually is...but, I have been known to be a bit dramatic at times.  As of last week, I am unemployed.  But, luckily it is by choice...unlike so many others who have had their careers delayed or ended by layoff.

Even though this change was self-initiated, it still is a bit unsettling to be 50 years old and not be employed by a company and the security that goes along with it.  I had planned to work another 7 years and then retire and spend my time half in leisurely activities and half involved with Boards and non-profits...that probably won't be the plan quite yet.

I think Jeff and I are going to be fine financially, but, I still feel an obligation to bring in income to the household.  So, I registered my business with the State of Oregon...Debra Muchow Consulting, LLC.  I have many colleagues who have their own consulting gigs and NONE of them use their own names in the title.  I'm not using my name out of vanity...but, for two reasons: 1) I am not creative enough to come up with a snappy title; 2) what I am selling to clients is ME, so why not have the product name in the title.  At least that is my logic.

In non-career related news...I went back to the gym today.  I absolutely HATE to exercise, always have.  I have never had a 'runner's high' or any release of endorphins from exercise in my life...it is always a chore.  But, if I want to keep doing the things I want to do, stay healthy, and, address my vanity, it's a must do.

Besides having to actually exercise, here is what I hate about going to the gym:

  • Moms with strollers on the running track.
  • Moms with strollers walking in pairs on the running track.
  • Moms with strollers, talking on cell phones on the running track.
  • Moms with strollers on the running track with their toddlers out of the stroller walking on the track.
Did I make myself clear enough?

And, there is one more HATE: anyone talking on their cell phone at the gym.  Seriously...it is bad enough I have to hear your conversation at the grocery store, Target, Walgreen's, the bank, and every other public place...please not the gym too!

Okay, now that I have displayed my ability to be the cranky old lady who yells, "Get off my lawn!", I will close this blog posting.

But, I am still wondering, "What to do now?"

No comments:

Post a Comment